Battery Monitor revamp

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Fri May 24 17:14:40 UTC 2013

Hi.

> Oh noes! Please restore this option since it is crucial

There's been a huge argument about that on BKO and decision from maintainers was to only have a hidden option for that. I personally would also want to have it. I'm just not sure where to put it. Having a global item in the list just for remaining time would ruin the UI, and adding it to each individual battery would require yet another patch to kdelibs (already had to add power supply support and capacity there too). Not sure if it's worth the effort just for a hidden option.

> Would it be an improvement having the additional batteries (mouse etc.)
collapsed by default?

Dont think so, the user should be given the information right away. He already clicked to bring the plasmoid up. And you hardly have more than say 5 at most batteries in there.

> Would I be able to set
the brightness via GUI if you sort out the existing issues?

If you can adjust it right now, you will in the new version too. If not, there's not much I can do. The detection I was talking about is just the automatism to hide the slider when you cannot adjust brightness anyway. The backlight handling itself hasn't changed.

That it is not shown in the screenshot is because I ran a second session inside mine using Xephyr and that seems to be unable to control brightness, it can control keyboard funnily. I tested afterwards by logging in on my main session and backlight controls properly appeared. So not much should change there.

Hope that answers your questions!

Have a nice weekend :)