kde-workspace and plasma2

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 16 08:35:57 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 18:36:27 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 May 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Even porting a few of the plasmoids wouldn't be the worst of ideas. (I
> > expect the icon one to be interesting ...) Not everything needs to be
> > ported right now, however, especially not components that get frequent
> > activity.
> >
> > And what I really don't want to see is the whole repository turned upside
> > down right now. Let's keep sebas' branch focused on a minimal set of
> > ported components to test the new shell with.
>
> ok, so now that branch does build and the plasma subdirectory can build by
> itself having now a complete cmake

why another branch (plasma2/imageWallpaper)?

how does it relate to plasma/sebas/desktop-qml-plasma2?

> the directory structure is as untouched as possible

that's obviously not quite accurate. you re-arranged the plasma directory
structure when it could just as easily have been limited to CMakeLists.txt
changes. that the branch is named "plasma2/imageWallpaper" really doesn't
help, as it does not imply at all that such changes are contained in it.

in any case, open questions remain such as "do we want to be able to have
form-factor focused builds, such as being able to easily build the plasma
plugins/components in kde-workspace just for touch and skipping any obviously
desktop plugins?"

how we want to end up shipping PW2-based images (either ourselves or our
downstreams) is going to influence these re-arrangements. and so i go back to
asking: what is making re-arranging the source tree so important right now?