[Nepomuk] Nepomukcontroller rewritten in QML

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Mar 25 13:43:39 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 20:55:02 Jörg Ehrichs wrote:
> > IMHO all of these need to be replaced with the async variants. This
> > unfortunately affects a lot of your code. The service job should be
> > easy as you don't wait for the results, the service engine is less of
> > any easy change. You might want to get a second opinion before
> > starting.
>
> I was hoping that it could stay this way (less code this way around)
> but ideally you are right, this should go async in case one of the
> services hangs in such a method (doubt that happens, but
> we never know).
>
> But I'll wait for 1-2 more opinions on this first.

These things should really be async.

Especially if there can be multiple services that you have no control about,
they will hang at some point, and then your UI is blocked -- never a good
thing.

We've had a non-funny amount of UI problems due to sync calls across IPC, or
into Nepomuk (and sometimes both), and it gets you a blocking UI, and it
really deteriorate the user experience.

In case you're wondering, in Plasma, we're aiming at 60 FPS, that means in any
given method, you may block for at *MOST* 16.6ms, not a lot of time at all.

sebas