Plasma & Python in KF5; was Re: Having an issue with the minimum size of Plasma.WebView

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jan 16 13:38:28 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:41:05 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> the possibility exists for us to support Applets which are written in
> python  but which use QML for the user visible parts. you'd still need to
> write and ship QML, but maybe you could do some behind-the-scenes parts in
> python. the question is: why?
[...]
> as such, i don't see any reason to support writing Applets in a python+QML
> hybrid form.

Not for the UI itself, no.

In Randa, the idea was to make it possible to write classes that are
accessible from the QML runtime in Python, and IMO that would be very useful.

So you'd write a set of QObject deriven classes in Python (you can use various
existing third party libraries for that, if you wish so), but they don't have
any UI in them, they just offer non-visual extensions.
These extensions can be more complex than what we can do with javascript, they
can even use 3rd party code (which currently our QML plasmoids can't), and
still be shipped as architecture independent code, which is a big plus for
many developers, due to easier setup of toolchain, quicker testing and
deployment, easier packaging.

These python extensions would then be imported into the context of the (QML)
UI, where you can instantiate and access them like normal object (that have,
for example been written in C++ and made accessible to the QML runtime).

This would be similar for other languages (that have Qt bindings) as well, and
maybe even for the set of kross-supported languages.

Thoughts?
--
sebas