kde plasma workspace structure

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Jun 9 08:28:05 UTC 2012

On Saturday 09 June 2012 04:45:51 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> * losing portability to non-Linux (and even specific Linux OSes)
something I would like to discuss in the light of workspace.

I think we all agree that we do neither target MS Windows nor OS X. (I know
you can run plasma-desktop on Windows, but it's more a proof of concept than
anything else).

That means we only consider portability to more Unix like operating systems
than OS X.

For me the question is whether our workspace right now is still supported on
non-Linux systems. I think it's not, because for free drivers it does not
support KMS and KWin as the compositor is pretty much untested with non-KMS
free drivers nowadays. Now I know you can run KWin without compositing, but
from what we see lately in the bug reports, the stack has moved in a way that
non-composited starts to not being supported any more and we recommend users
to run XRender instead of no compositing.

With other words: the non-Linux OSes do no longer support our minimum runtime
requirements, where it starts to be questionable to go the additional way to
keep portability possible (hello Sun Compiler).

<snip>
> i agree that it makes sense to drag kmix into kde-workspace since it really
> only makes sense in that scope. every other desktop has their own mixer,
> right? so there's no reason for someone to use kmix elsewhere. (unlike, say,
> digikam or gwenview.)
interesting, I would consider gwenview part of the workspace as I think an
image viewer is nowadays one of the most essential applications a user needs.

Cheers
Martin