Theming, again

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Mon Jun 4 16:36:32 UTC 2012

FrameSvg is awesome, that stands. At the same time it is filled with
unused features. And misused features :)
>From my pov, it could be slimmed down for the common use-case, kept
the current one in the old-theme-compatibility-plugin etc. Aka,
performance impact only on explicit request.

The issue with the current usage of it (and we are all to blame for
this one - it *is* a nice tool that covers a lot of use-cases) is that
it exists as a first class citizen - if you just want a simple
round-corner rectangle painted, you still need to use svgs. (iirc,
amarok reimplemented that paint function for its dashboard not to use
it to increase performance)

Now, the question is whether qml painted items would be faster than a
cached FrameSvg... and that needs looking into.

--
Cheerio,
Ivan

p.s. I'm not talking about 4.10 - qml theming is experimental as you
said, this would be a viable option only after we get something usable
from Daker :P

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard