[RFC] Remove Xinerama related options

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jan 20 10:32:13 UTC 2012

Hi workspace developers,

KWin provides the option to turn off multi screen aware window management.
This results in windows being maximized over both screens or fullscreen
windows being stretched over all screens. These options make the code much
more complex and add confusing configuration dialogs to our workspace (see
attached screenshot).

Example code:
int Workspace::numScreens() const
{
    if (!options->xineramaEnabled)
        return 1;
    return Kephal::ScreenUtils::numScreens();
}

I personally fail to understand why the options are needed and why they have
been added in the first place. With git blame I was not able to go back so far
in the history to find when they were added. Note: the xinerama code used also
to be ifdefed, so I could imagine it being from a time back when multi screens
was a new feature.

>From the userinterface the only useful option is "Show unmanaged windows on"
which should be kept. All other options make in my opinion just no sense.

If nobody sees any good reason to keep these options I would prepare the
removal.

The reason is btw not to remove options, but to decrease the complexity of the
code as shown above and the fact that it is a break my system setting which
happened more than once that users complained about maximize not working any
more.

Cheers
Martin