Some simple ideas for desktop 4.8

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Sep 26 10:41:05 UTC 2011

On Sunday, September 25, 2011 17:28:12 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Having those two synced sounds reasonable and I would suggest to go for only
> current desktop as by default it's only one desktop and means less clutter.

this would mean there is no way to switch quickly between windows on different
desktops -> one has to switch desktop first (requiring one to remember which
desktop the window is on in the first place .. which no visible hints
anywhere) and then switch to the window.

moreover, there is the dreaded "ghost window in the taskbar" bug that is only
visible when "show only current desktop" is selected. until that is fixed,
there is no way to even contemplate it being the default behaviour.

even if it were fixed, however, this seems to be a big step backwards for
people who use virtual desktops. yes, i understand some people like to have
"only show on current desktop" for their taskbar but it doesn't seem like a
sane default to me due to how it essentially hides windows completely. i'd
rather opt for "showing what you're running" as the default.

creative solutions to that problem are welcome.

humru othro a kohnu se