IconTasks taskmanager changes

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 08:10:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 09:47, Craig Drummond <Craig.Drummond at gmx.net>wrote:

> > should
> > task-widget
> > >
> > > Ok, bad example. Think of any non-KUniqueApp in systray then, Quassel
> > for
> > > example, this opens two windows for sure.
>
> The problem here is that the taskmanager library does not really manage
> tasks, but windows. So, when Quassel is minimised to the system try, the
> taskamanger emits a windowRemoved - and the task applets remove the entry.
> The launcher is then re-shown, as no visible task is on the taskbar.
> Clicking the entry launches a new instance.
>
> To solve this, Quassel should be a KUniqueApp. Otherwise, how would we know
> to start a new instance, or activate the current instance?

I don't really understand the internal stuff of this, so please forgive me
if I'm completely off. Handling of existing vs. new instance - the same way
you currently start a new instance in Icon Tasks, right click on task ->
start new instance. Clicking a launcher would always bring you a running
app. How many times you really want to start a second instance of the app?
Of course I can imagine some cases, but that's like 2 out of 10.

The idea is to have a unified tasks part of the panel/desktop/whatever.
Simply handle systray minimalized icons as well. If I create a launcher for
say Clementine, I already see it twice on the panel - one launcher and once
in systray. So these two could unite into one single task item. You could
just append the systray icon menu to the task menu and thus have the same
functionality in task item. In the end you would end up with just a "task
manager" with all the tasks running in your destkop and then a systray free
of minimalized stuff and basically just being a place for other non-app
controls, like NM, Battery, Volumne, Notifications etc.

--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer