IconTasks taskmanager changes

Anton Kreuzkamp akreuzkamp at web.de
Wed Oct 26 20:17:46 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 26 October 2011 17:24:08 Craig Drummond wrote:
> On 26/10/11 15:59, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 26, 2011 15:13:02 Craig Drummond wrote:
> >> Then you simply cannot pin the application to the taskbar. Is that such a
> >> big deal?
> >
> > it would be a regression with no justifiable argument for why it should
> > regress.
> >
> > a good exercise is to imagine explaining it to a user why that one entry
> > couldn't be added.
>
> Its not really a regression. Currently the existing taskbar cannot
> create a launcher for LibreOffice - whereas IconTasks can. The only
> cases where IconTasks will not create a launcher, where current taskbar
> may, is when no desktop file is present. But I dont see this as that big
> a deal.
>
> > additionally, for the corner cases where nothing can be done (due to not
> > being able to locate the executable in some fasion) we may wish to simply
> > disable the action.
>
> Well how would I know nothing can be done? Just because the automatic
> matching did not work, doesn't mean that the app's desktop file is not
> installed. For instance, for wine apps IconTasks will *always* prompt
> for the user to select the app - as there, currently, is no easy way to
> determine this. (The existing taskbar creates a launcher for 'wine', and
> not the windows app)
>
> So in this regard, the matching, etc, *is* better.
>
> The only current regression would be for existing launchers that have
> their details embedded in the config file (as I said this happens for
> system settings). But this could probably be resolved by using an
> internal launcher URL that points to the embedded details.
>
> Craig.

I don't think that the normal user will be able to find the desktop file
manually in the filesystem. The experienced user can still add the desktop-file
easily per drag&drop (provided the applet supports it).
That said, I must admit that the creating the launcher without desktop-file
doesn't work as well as I wanted, so I would also support your idea despite my
objections concerning usability :)