BlueDevil systray icon

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 10:26:50 UTC 2011

On Sunday 09 October 2011, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> Since we're trying to reduce the clutteness in our systray for 4.8, I'd
> like to expose how we're handling it in BlueDevil so you can give me
> feedback :p
>
> ====== Short term ======
> There are two ways of turning off Bluetooth, by hardware and by software.
>
> By hardware: When turned off by hardware the bluetooth-monolithic
> application is killed since there is no use for it, ergo the systray icon
> is gone
>
> By software: If the user turn it off by software, probably means that he
> will want to turn in on by software again, so in that case we're keeping
> the systray.

+1, i like to have the icon there if bluetooth is on, so makes sense to:
no bluetooth possibility -> no icon at all
bluetooth on -> icon visible (maybe could even make sense for other
combinations like visible when is bluetooth -and- battery..)
bluetooth soft off->icon present but in the hidden area

> ====== Long term ======
>
> As you can see, there isn't a strong reason why we should keep the systray
> in the future, but for now and until we do the needed work I think we
> should keep it as it is (short term).

regardless of how will be done, it makes sense to have a bluetooth icon there
in the hardware section even just purely as an indicator (maybe just when on
battery) since bluetooth tends to be something that one wants it off unless
really needed

--
Marco Martin