Looking for Advisory on ActivityBar Size Policy

David Narvaez david.narvaez at computer.org
Thu Nov 17 11:57:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:39 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> set a preferredSize on the applet that reflects the preferredSize of the
> contents and it should behave as requested (growing and shrinking). the panel
> will give it as much room as it can up to the size of the preferredSize, but
> no more.

On the contrary, I want it not to grow and shrink. I want it to take
an initial reasonable size and stick to it no matter what desktop you
switch to and no matter what's the number of tasks in that desktop. It
could probably grow or shrink with adding or removal of activities,
but it should not grow larger than something reasonable.

Then again, I don't know how to define reasonable here, it's just a
nice size that lets my Task Bar take enough space to display the
tasks.

> if you want a fixed growing size, just make sure the preferredSize never gets
> smaller. the applet may still be given less room (it's only a preferredSize,
> after all) but if at all possible, it will get the room it requests.

Makes sense. Also, I noticed there is a Plasma::TabBar inside a
QGraphicsLinearLayout inside the ActivityBar applet and, if I take the
QGraphicsLinearLayout out of the way, the applet itself does not
stretch (it then shrinks to something that does not look too nice, but
at least stays that way no matter what desktop you change to).

And, by the way, am I the only one that can reproduce the varying size
of the ActivityBar? Or is this issue a general issue? (Or is it not an
issue?)

David E. Narváez