Plasma Desktop UX

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri May 27 22:52:10 CEST 2011

On Friday, May 27, 2011 21:40:24 Michal Luscon wrote:
> #1 - no significant GUI action after right click and unlock widget choice
> Tested users was really confused because they expect GUI response after
> every of their action in user interface. I think that it would be better
> to show right upper toolbox menu after right click and unlock widget choice.

one has to first lock the widgets. locked is not the default. not showing the
toolbox means it is very easy to get into a situation where you can't
configure anything as a result. context menus are configurable, remember.

> #2 - horizontal menu Add Widgets does not correspond with previous user
> experience

many things in plasma don't.

> #3 - low sensitivity of scrollbar button(arrow icon) in Add Widget menu
> Ease to fix.

yes; should be fixed and shouldn't be hard.

> #4 - some widgets are not movable by dragging the whole surface
> My opinion is that all widgets would be movable by dragging their
> surface in the case of unlocked state(touch devices).

keep in mind that plasma-desktop is not designed primarily for touch devices,
so there will be several such non-optimal cases. that said, can you give
examples of which widgets? areas of content that are meant for interaction
will not be draggable as such, though there may well be bugs where areas that
should be draggable are unecessarily "eating" clicks.

if you (or someone else :) has a list of such offenders, we can fix them
pretty easily.

> #5 - widget's buttons resize, rotate and setup don't contain pop-up help
> I made up two possible solutions of this issue - pop-up help :-) or
> special mouse pointers(#6)

both would be nice imho; tooltips are a bit problematic due to a combination
of factors in the technical implementation of QGrahpicsView and the handles.
first, the handles paint everything themselves; the buttons are not
independent widgets. QGraphicsWidget does not allow tooltips for different
regions of a widget. ergo .. the problem.

it means that the handles probably need to be changed so that the buttons are
separate QGraphicsWidgets. then tooltips can be easily added.

iirc there's a report on bugs.kde.org for this that goes back to probably the
4.2 days...

> #6 - mouse pointer is not changed when it is holding rotate button
> Oxygen mouse pointer theme does not contain action pointers(rotate,
> resize, ... )

would be nice indeed.. patches welcome.

humru othro a kohnu se