Plasma QML documentation

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 11:25:10 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 22 June 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, June 16, 2011 13:08:35 Marco Martin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I've started to document the api of the QML Plasma bindings, the pages
> > are:
>
> > a simple getting started tutorial:
> wooooOO! :)) this makes me very, very happy to see.
>
> > * binded qgraphicslayouts and old plasma widgets (i really do *not* want
> > to publicize that thing...)
>
> this can perhaps be linked to from a "legacy support" section on the page,
> and point to just the widgets page split out from the JS API (see below
> more more on the splitting)

yeah, a legacy support page would be good, probably the widgets would have to
be different from the js page since you create them in a different way
PushButton {
  text: foo
}
vs
button = new PushButton()

> > * qtextracomponents: they depend just from qt, but i would document them
> > there (and yes i still am on the position that image providers cannot
> > even remotely replace them :p)
>
> where are QtExtraComponents shipped? Qt itself, or?

kde-runtime as well, are things that should really be in the base components
but they have been really clear they don't want to implement, like elements to
display qicons, qimages and qpixmaps

> > * parts in common with the JS api (except services that are briefly
> > talked about): they could be copied but would be harder to update since
> > all work would have to be done 2 times: is enough to cross link the
> > needed sections?
>
> what we could do is split the JavaScript API page up into several pages.
> it's already way too long anyways :)
>
> then the main JS API page could link to those pages, and the QML pages
> could link to the relevant ones. we'd just need to ensure that the
> documentation is valid and appropriate for both JS and QML. do you have a
> list of sections on the JS API page that would also be relevant to QML? i
> can easily do the page splitting from there...

yeah, so there would be at least separated pages for the first level

the qml one would basically need chapters:
1.4
1.5
1.8 (well, not yet, the qpainter part is still not really binded, but will be
eventually needed)
1.11
1.12

> > if anybody wants to expand the sections of the guide in any way, please
> > do so ;)
>
> i cleaned up a couple of minor issues today while reading it over...
> hopefully others will do similarly :)

oki, thanks ;)

--
Marco Martin