kde freezes after updating distro ( open suse 11.4 )

karan pratap singh wizard.karan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 22:12:02 CEST 2011

> exact problem :
> kde starts , followed by splash screen and i can see my desktop.
> but then no mouse click or keyboard press has any effect( only ctrl  +alt +
> F1 works ).

I was facing the exact same problem when I had compiled KDE manually for the
first time :)
And I do not have an Nvidia card, I have an Ati card on my machine.

Try opening another virtual terminal and type the following to start kde:

X :1 & export DISPLAY=:1 ; startkde

In my case the problem was mainly due to improper setting of XDG paths and
dbus launch shell variable was not being exported properly!

To get better support for this your best bet would be #kde-devel.....or the
forum as Martin suggested.

> basically, i am looking at the logs ( but where they are ? ), so that i can
> get some clue.
> secondly, the repositories to add before updating. as my project deals with
> plasma-active,
> so, i used plasma-active and kde-unstable repo's, as mentioned in techbase.
> ( along with
> packman and contrib ).
>
> i did tried following things before installing and upgrading before second
> time.
> 1. tried to rebuild x and done that. gnome starts well.
> 2. set changes of .kde4 in home directory to default

Try looking at .xsession-errors log file in your home directory, It will
contain all X related errors!

--
regards,
Karan Pratap Singh