making a data engine for nepomuk(?)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jul 8 10:23:42 CEST 2011

On Friday, July 8, 2011 09:42:05 swair shah wrote:
> First I wanted to ask why is it that c++ plasmoids are getting ported to
> QML, will plasma only support QML plasmoids in the future or something?

there are several benefits to QML, including better visuals and performance.
note that plasmoids that use QML for the UI can still be written in C++,
however. this is a feature we want to keep over the long term.

> Secondly, I wanted to ask, what is the right method to make a plasmoid?
> Should i make a data engine first and then use it to make a plasmoid (also

that's the usual path, if an appropriate DataEngine doesn't already exist.

> it would be great if someone a bit familiar with nepomuk  AND plasma could
> just give me a brief intro to what a data engine related to nepomuk should
> be like). AFAIK there isn't any data engine using which one could make
> nepomuk application.

there is a nepomuk DataEngine in the plasma-mobile git module. why it is there
is a bit of a mystery to me :)

> So If i were to start building one, people willing to
> make nepomuk related plasmoids will benefit in future.

yes; though i think you should probably get in touch with Sebastian Kugler as
he has already done significant work n this area afaik.

> Coming back to QML, if all c++ plasmoids are eventually going to get ported
> to QML, I should create the plasmoid in QML. What are your inputs?

starting with QML for the UI is a good idea, yes.

humru othro a kohnu se