Dataengines in native runners

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jul 6 10:27:45 CEST 2011

On Sunday, July 3, 2011 20:33:46 Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Is there any native-code krunner that uses a dataengine to get its
> information? It seems odd that, for example, we have a perfectly good
> 'places' dataengine but the runner accesses KFilePlacesModel directly
> instead. Same for activities and windows.

the reason is two fold:

* DataEngine and Runner represent the resulting data rather differently and
offering very different options as to what can be done with the results. iow,
the use cases are fundamentally different. using one from the other, while
possible, is therefore always going to be more awkward than simply using a
shared implementation for getting to the actual data.

* DataEngines are not required to be thread safe, and Plasma::DataEngine
itself is not thread safe. Runners are by design threaded. so either we make
DataEngine(s) more complicated for little gain, or Runners have to manage the
locking (and accessing of the DataEngine from the main thread) themselves.

hth..

humru othro a kohnu se