Fwd: [Qt-qml] Merging V8 into qtdeclarative.git#master

Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) artur.souza at openbossa.org
Tue Jul 5 13:16:08 CEST 2011

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <aaron.kennedy at nokia.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 1:20 AM
Subject: [Qt-qml] Merging V8 into qtdeclarative.git#master
To: qt-qml at qt.nokia.com

Hi,

Tomorrow we will merge the qtdeclarative.git#v8 branch into
qtdeclarative.git#master.  This change switches the JavaScript engine
QML uses from JavaScript Core to V8 (http://code.google.com/p/v8/).

In the past QML accessed the JavaScript engine indirectly through
QtScript, but with V8 we integrated it directly against V8's native
C++ API.  Consequently, in addition to the raw JavaScript performance
improvements we get for "free", QML can leverage some of V8's unique
features to give a better JavaScript experience.

In a perfect world, other than their apps running slightly faster, QML
users should notice no change.  However, there are a couple of known
regressions to be aware of:

   1. Creator integration will probably not work as smoothly in the
short term - at the very least the JavaScript debugging will not work.
   2. Any QML API that relies on QML's undocumented ability to set and
get QScriptValue properties will no longer work.
   3. Any application that provides a QScriptValue based QML module
API will no longer work.  As module APIs are an unreleased feature
anyway, hopefully this wont be a big problem.

If you encounter any other breakage, it is probably a bug - so please report it!

One goal in qt5 is to allow applications to expose their own
JavaScript based APIs to QML.  Right now, it is not clear whether this
will be accomplished by porting all of QtScript to V8, or by exposing
a new, smaller JavaScript API that just wraps V8.  If anyone has any
strong opinions on the matter, now would probably be a good
opportunity to express them :)

Cheers,

Aaron

Artur Duque de Souza