GSoC on Porting Plasmoids to QML

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 18:39:56 CET 2011

On Wednesday 23 February 2011, Travis McHenry wrote:
> Hey, I'm one of the people who emailed Marco about this project and didn't
> reply right away lol. >_< If you want to take this project that's fine with
> me though, it looks like there's plenty of other projects to choose from.
> But if you find that it's not something you'd like to do I'd be more than
> willing to take it up! haha.

well, i can just say guys, is discuss about it nd take a decision that is
preferably shared by both ;)

> I did spend a little time digging into this though so I'll share my ideas
> on it in case they're helpful.
>
> I think the first thing to do is to look through the
> kdeexamples/plasma/declarative/ directory and look at how those widgets are
> made, make some improvements that seem fun and useful and get a good feel
> for it.

good idea :)

> One thing I noticed is a weird quirk in the
> kdeexamples/plasma/declarative/nowplaying widget where when amarok is
> playing and you press the pause button the button will get switched around
> so it has the play button when it's already playing and won't pause.

yeah, definitely things to fix there (and that example could grow in a real
nowplaying replacement)
another problem of that example is that It's condemned to use the old
qgraphicswidgets because of the api of Service that will have to be adapted
(to use qgraphicsobjects, or even better just qobjects)

> So if you want to learn some QML and maybe a bit about the dataengines in
> plasma debugging that would probably be a good place to start. ;)
>
> Also, I think one thing that needs clarification is if the project is to
> port the widgets completely to QML or for the ones that have some C++
> should the goal be to port them to use DeclarativeWidgets.

yeah, that's more in the qtcomponents project tough.
Cheers,
Marco Martin