[RFC] Enforcing Compositing

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Feb 20 22:43:29 CET 2011

On Sunday 20 February 2011 22:30:01 Beat Wolf wrote:
> Then leave it out during dev, but in when releasing.
I wrote that in my initial mail about the config option.

> I just don't agree that for example nvidia will fix their drivers just
> because kde does not work with some, probably older cards.
They actually fixed quite some bugs after the 4.1 release.

Concerning older cards: KWin will continue to work if the driver does not
support compositing. It's only about enforcing if the driver supports it.
> But i know that i can't win that debate. But i just know that such a
> decision will cause problems.
We are lucky: we will see the results of GNOME Shell and Unity in April -
enough time for us to adjust.