another interesting bug.. this time performance related

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Feb 19 20:03:46 CET 2011

On Saturday, February 19, 2011, Marco Martin wrote:
> crazy idea: what about qml-ifing the taskbar right now?

that's an excellent crazy idea. let's do it.

> since is the most complex applet will still be a c++ one (that would just
> show a DeclarativeWidget and nothing else)

yes, that'll make a lot of things easier.

> i have no idea how much work would take, the only hard thing seems to be a
> correct handling of grouping (i guess it will have to be written a
> qabstractitemmodel that maps to what libtaskmanager says)

i could write that model. what i'm thinking is a model that lives in
libtaskmanager and which would be used like this:

TaskManager::GroupManager *grouper = new TaskManager::GroupManager(this);
TaskManager::TaskModel *model = new TaskManager::TaskModel(grouper);

all settings and handling would be applied to the GroupManager and the Model
would reflect those changes. this is already what the tasks widget does, only
without a model, so it should be quite doable.

another difficult part might be the user interaction for manual sorting and
grouping. we need to be able to let the user start a QDrag for manual
grouping. sorting can be done all within the QML widget, so that shouldn't be
too hard? only trick is that it will need to let the Applet know so it can let
the GroupManager know ...

this is probably beyond my QML skills as i still haven't found the time to
properly throw myself into QML yet. but i'm happy to write the model and
retro-fit the tasks widget for a QML widget.

humru othro a kohnu se