Dataengine for browser bookmarks

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 14:11:31 CET 2011

On Saturday 05 February 2011, Jan Gerrit José Marker wrote:
> Hello,
> The idea was on plasma-devel some time ago:
> Write a dataengine which lists the bookmarks of browsers like Firefox,
> Konqueror or Opera.
>
> The bookmarks runner got the feature of querying Firefox' and Opera's
> bookmarks in KDE SC 4.4 or 4.5. I used the code of this runner to implement
> the dataengine. The bookmarks are listed hierarchical. You can find its
> source code in my scratch repository:
> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fjangmarker%2Fbrowserbookmarks.git&a=su
> mmary Currently Konqueror, Firefox 3.x and Opera are supported. I'll work
> on support for Chromium/Google Chrome later.
>
> I'd like to move the project to KDE review but at first I would appreciate
> some feedback about the way it works, you can find information about it in
> the README file.
>
> If it is accepted and moved to kde-workspace I would port the runner to use
> this engine.

I think it's a nice idea and that the engine would be welcome for sure in
workspace ;)
(ah, maybe you'll want to subscribe at least for the time the discussion will
go on, not sure everybody will always remember to reply to all)

quick comment by quckly reading the sources:
i'm not sure it's a good idea to always crawl all the bookmarks of all the
found browsers,
like the runner, the default browser should be tried to be found...

Cheers,
Marco Martin