Contribution proposal: Easier way to move windows between activities

Lukas 1lukas1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 10:05:50 UTC 2011

On 7 August 2011 11:38, Andreas Demmer <mail at andreas-demmer.de> wrote:

> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > in Share Like Connect, you can select the Connect button, select Activity
> > and  the activity you want [...]
> > i don't know if it's fast enough
>
> Sounds consitant for things that should be always connected with eath other
> but I could imagine that for "quick corrections" (like chat windows opening
> on
> the wrong activity), even this would get in the way.
>
> I recieved the following suggestion from Lukas
>
> > The best idea so far was to employ corner actions. When you hit top left
> > corner with your mouse, you get "Now Open Windows grid" (something like
> > expose in mac).
> >
> > When you hit the same corner when dragging the window, why not to have
> same
> > with activities? So you can simply drag window to any activity in the
> > activity preview grid (something like zoom out in earlier KDE versions)
> in
> > less than 2-3 seconds with a single click :) Also Activites plasmoid in
> > panel can be removed - important for the tablets/notebooks
>
> I like the idea of a simple drag'n'drop from windows corner and could think
> of
> this really being an enjoyable workflow.

Hi,

Its a quick visualization (with couple extensions :) ) of what I wrote to
Andreas
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1S5M8LkIz0j6s_caT3T_nDUxMWmUs3p8qkQmMD0K_hWo/edit?hl=en_US

> Yet, I see some issues needs to be solved with this workflow:
>
> 1. How making it obvious to the user that the opening grid are now
> activities
> instead of virtual desktops? We need to avoid any confusion.
>
> Always have the same UI with activities and windows.

> 2. How to handle many activities? Should we really show an activity grid
> which
> would become rather small for each activity when having more than 4-9
> activities.

And open windows too ;)

To gain more space something like
http://valums.com/files/2009/vertical-menu/final.htm can be done.

It means - when moving a mouse, canvas moves/scrolls to reverse direction.
In contrast to Valums solution, the items on the edges shall not get hidden,
but made smaller. Something like rotating a globe - area with focus is the
biggest, others nicely fits it. Or KWins fish eye lens effect.

> Still, I like the idea of this grid even if it means that this would be
> largely implemented as KWin effect. Oh yeah, I can imagine Martin smiling
> now
> and thinking "hehe, I told him KWin would be his fate" :D

If you have any questions - it might be faster to add them inline on the
drawing, there they can be discussed individually.

Cheers,
Lukas