activities dataengine

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 16:36:32 CEST 2010

I've been hacking on a dataengine for activities the last couple of evenings.

the original plan was to have it encapsulate the ugly hack that the
activitybar plasmoid and activityswitch mouseaction now contain - using real
activities for plasma-desktop and faking them with containments for plasma-
netbook.

however, since dataengines apparently don't have access to the corona... the
only way I see for the engine to get that itself is to grab it from netbook's
PlasmaApp (cast from qApp), which means linking to plasma-netbook (right?)

so... I'm not sure what to do. I've come up with a few possible solutions,
none of which I really like:

1) just link and let it be ugly

2) have a Service operation for the plasmoid to pass in the corona (meaning
the ugly hacks are mostly, but not entirely, within the dataengine)

3) leave the hacks outside the engine, have the plasmoids only use it when
they're not in plasma-netbook

4) write two engines, one *only* for plasma-desktop and one *only* for plasma-
netbook, and ignore all other shells (amarok doesn't need to be activity-aware
right? :P )

5) convince notmart that using the Activity service is worthwhile ;)

I'm leaning towards option 3 at the moment, but have I missed any nicer
options?

--
Chani
http://chani.ca