Icon overlays

Christian Kreibich christian at whoop.org
Wed Oct 27 23:43:32 CEST 2010

Hi all,

What mechanisms do currently exist for dynamically adjusting an icon on
my desktop? (For example, for my Tor start/stop script I'd like to have
it indicate whether Tor is running, for my mailer I'd like the number of
new messages, etc.) In the past I hacked this up by scripts editing
the .desktop, but since this now triggers the exclamation mark overlay
and a dialog for the user, it's no longer practical.

(By current, I ideally mean KDE 4.4.5 as running from packages on my
production systems, but I'm also interested in hearing about recent
developments.)

Christian