getting involved with plasma

Giulio Camuffo giuliocamuffo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 11:26:03 CEST 2010

2010/10/20 Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor at gmail.com>

> which is the best supported language for making a "beautiful" plasmoid?

There's no language to make "beautiful" plasmoids. All of them can do more
or less the same things. c++ is harder while javascript and qml are easier
and more safe. I don't think the bindings expose the entire API, though.

> i know that i have to learn qt programming,but what exacly??

Plasma uses the QGraphicsView framework, so the base classes are
QGraphicsView itself, QGraphicsScene, QGraphicsWidget and QGraphicsLayout.
Obviously then Plasma has other classes that work with these.

> someone who wants to contribute to plasma what exactly has to do?
> create plasmoids or fixing plasma bugs or both?

What *you* want to do? You can fix bugs, if you want, or create a new
plasmoid if you feel there's the need for it, or add a new feature to an
already existing plasmoid or to the plasma infrastucture. It all depends on
what you want to do.
There's no "Plasma developer" tag that someone attaches to your front after
you do some particular things. Simply work on it :)
Since, however, it might take a bit to understand how plasma works, i think
it's easier to start working on a fairly simple plasmoid, either fixing a
big or creating a new applet.

Giulio