Panel icon sizing bug in 4.4

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun May 23 22:08:57 CEST 2010

On Sunday 23 May 2010, Chani wrote:
> On May 23, 2010 10:27:26 Rhapsody wrote:
> > On 23/05/10 18:08, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > > As far as I know, it is intentional, that is, it is not a bug.
> > >
> > > From my point of view, this is something that we can make configurable
> > > (there already is a configuration page in system settings>  application
> > > appearance> icons>  advanced, *but the size setting is disabled*)
> >
> > My exact response to the highlighted part was to scream "What?!? You
> > WHAT?!?". I went to check this and found that is it true. There is a
> > setting there, it is set to 32 pixels, and unlike the other categories
> > (Desktop, Toolbar, Main Toolbar, etc) is is explicitly disabled.
> >
> > Why would you do that? Why would you set an arbitrary size limit and
> > then explicitly disable the option to change it, while still leaving it
> > there to mock the user? What reason was there?
>
> sounds like a bug to me.
> and if it's a bug, it can be fixed (and might even be a trivial fix).
>
> it's probably worth checking whether there was a reason, though. Ivan,
> since you've already found the config option, do you know who put it there
> (or, who disabled it)?
so,
the reason was that vertical panels on widescreens are usually huge to fit the
taskbar, if icons would be unlimited they would quite useless, like kickoff
using half of the screen.
now yes, it should follow that setting, no it doesn't, never followed it in
kde4 and should do before 4.5

cheers,
Marco Martin