bug target for 4.5

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri May 7 12:30:35 CEST 2010

On Friday 07 May 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all :)
>
> we're nearing feature freeze and i'd like to propose a bug target that's
> maybe a bit different than in the past, mostly because of the amount of
> code, number of users and number of open reports. in the past, i've set
> out a hard # target to reach. i think this release it's a lot harder to
> peg such a number.
>
> so let's try this instead:
>
> let's try to end every day with a lower number of open reports than at the
> start of that day.
>
> right now we are at 955 which is some 30 less than a couple days ago. kudos
> to everyone closing bugs.
>
> if we end each day less than we start, we'll at least be below 900 by the
> time we release.
>
> can we do it? yes we can! (or so says Bob the Builder. and Barak. can't
> argue with two guys whose name begins with 'B', now can you? ;)

it's a good target.
right now given our ratio of popularity/resources, is not realistic to expect
the bug number keeping low during feature periods.
so what we can do realistically is:
- having the bug number steadily decreasing for all freeze period
- identifying and fixing the most annoying/showstopper ones
- besides the raw bug count, each one of us should identify an area where the
user experience is rather poor (even if working) and try improve that, things
like bad layouting, widgets that exit from parents, missing icons, things like
that.

Personally my foe will be Plama::Dialog, there are many places it's simply
horrile, places at wrong positions (see taskbar groups or the widget explorer)
resizes with terrible flickering, it as wrong sizes or things like that.
those are all things that are not strictly showstopper, but gives a quite
"cheap" experience

Cheers,
Marco Martin