PMC use case

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 15:15:27 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 30 March 2010, Christophe Olinger wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 March 2010, Christophe Olinger wrote:
> >> Hey everybody,
> >>
> >> I think it will be really difficult to have the UI scale from 50"
> >> screens right down to 5" screens. At the moment we use a top panel for
> >> playback control (and mode switching) and will use a bottom panel for
> >
> > i don't think the mode switching should ultimately be there, the modes
> > should be shown as mammoth icons in a main menu in the browser itself,
> > that would be a kind of "root folder" for it.
>
> From the wiki:
> On PMC startup the user will see a beautiful home applet that has (PMC
> is meant to be fullscreen):
>
>     * Buttons to switch to the following media modes: Pictures, Music,
> Videos (later: Games, maybe an all Media Mode)
>     * Area with information about your recently played media, highest
> ratings, things that allow you to jumpstart to a specific media.
>     * Possibility to add normal plasmoids, like note apps, web slice,...

do you plan to make that home applet the top bar? is not fullscreen enough,
and put all the possible mode here will quickly run out of space an be
cluttered, in the bar there should be a single button, triggered also from a
single real key (could be esc or home, or whatever in keyboards, the more
adapt case by case on remotes)
that "home applet" if you want it really isolated could be a different
containment, so would be a totally standaloe fullscreen thing, but i don't
think i like it.

i really do think it should be right into the browser, the "modes" together
eventual plugins to do other stuff should be right into the browser as items,
so they can be as big as possible taking the whole screen or scale decently if
some day there will be many of them.

the "adding normal plasmoids" part divides in two categories:
tiny plasmoids with a brief informational value:
couldbe put somewhere in the main containment, an rssnow with finally some
adaptments for panels could be put in the bottom bar for instance, or we could
want an analog clock somewhere in the screen while a videos is playing and the
controls/info are shown on top, just because we can...

or on the other hand there could be some plasmoid that scale well as full
screen things, like a browser or a way more detailed version of the weather
applet, those could take their own containment and be shown as fullscreen,
launched from the browser

> So eventually only the home button will remain in the controller and
> the home screen will be the root of everything. On media type switch
> we will then alwys go via the home applet (2 clicks). At some point we
> thought that having mode switch buttons in the controller would be
> good to reduce switching to 1 click. At one point I imagined holding
> the home button in the controller would make a sort of drawer expand
> which would show the other mode buttons.
>
> >> displaying information about media. The bottom panel might be reusable
> >> for a big screen UI, but the playback control migth have to be
> >> transformed into something else. Anyway, the way Alessandro designed
> >
> > as long as it scales big enough to be readable it will be perfectly fine.
> > on a tv that thing will be purely informational since you won't click
> > that buttons, because you would have play,stop, fast forward etc
> > directly into the remote
>
> anyway, the controller has a "toggle autohide" button, we can set it
> to always autohide on big TV screens

it should -always- be autohide and what is lacking at the moment is a way to
decide what autohide at the proper moment.
when you are watching a movie you can want to unhide only the top bar ith the
progress and the bottom bar with informations.

another thing is when you decide you want something else, so you could want to
unhide the browser and/or the playlist. the two things don't make much sense
shown at the same time, really.

Cheers,
Marco Martin