Getting into plasma

Alessandro Diaferia alediaferia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 13:26:34 CET 2010

2010/3/15 Christophe Olinger <olingerc at binarylooks.com>

> Hey plasma people,
>
> My name is Christophe Olinger from Luxembourg (nick binarylooks) and I
> am following KDE and especially plasma for a few years now. I learned
> C++ a looong time ago (10 years?) and basically I fear it’s all gone.
> Nevertheless, I am trying to get into it again especially using Qt.
> If somebody is interested in these kind of things: I am 29.9 years old
> and have a PhD in molecular biology and worked in the bioinformatics
> field. Soon to be father and I hope my immense motivation in coding
> will continue.
>
> My main interest lies in getting plasma bling (am I allowed to say
> bling?). Onto netbooks and later tablets. I really like the current
> plasma-netbook workspace and right now I am thinking about creating a
> sort of really simple picture viewer. Since I can basically be
> considered a C++ newbie I am a bit afraid of jumping into an existing
> project yet. I need to learn. I am currently dissecting the frame
> plasmoid to learn about the painter and QPixmaps. (I know about plasma
> media center and will have a look at it. If I learn enough with my pet
> project, I will surely start contributing to it)
>
> What the viewer should do:
> v0.1: Display an image, allow swiping to switch image. Allow a single
> image mode and a browse mode. The browse mode will be a grid of images
> and you can pan through the grid. Tapping an image will switch to
> single picture mode. All this should be fullscreen and feel natural
>

> v0.2 use nepomuk and other stuff to filter your collection, tag images
> and rotate them. No additional manipulation
>
> I would appreciate some intial help to get started so here my questions
> *Should I learn Qt quick for this and do all this in declarative?
> *Should I use plasmalibs as basis for this or start it as a new qt
> (kdelibs) app?
> *Should this be a C++ plasmoid that I can later tie to a new
> containment to make it fullscreen?
> *Should I code this as a new containment type? like SAL or newspaper
> and this would be picture viewer?
> *Could I do this with a javascript plasmoid? I guess not easily
> *Should a start with gwenview as basis? and add a new viewmode to gwenview?
>

> Thanks for bearing with me.
>
> Christophe

Hi Cristophe,

I totally agree with Marco so just follow his hints.
I just wanted to let you know that we both are on IRC [1] so you can join us
and start working on the mediacenter if you mind. There are also some ideas
for this-year GSoC [2] if you want to have a look at them and eventually
start writing your own proposal. You can ping me (alediaferia) or Marco
(notmart) on #plasma or #plasma-mediacenter.

Cheers!

[1] chat.freenode.net
[2] http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2010/Ideas

--