Idea: Window management for 4.5

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 13:04:30 CET 2010

On 30-01-2010 at 12:13:35 Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 29 January 2010, J Janz wrote:
>>  2010/1/29 Jonathan Schmidt-Dominé - Developer <devel at the-user.org>
>>
>> >  Hi Plasma-Devs!
>>
>> Well, I'm not one but ... still, I guess I bring some issues that,
>> thought
>> deeper, could either help turning this ideas into something or sinking
>> 'em
>> down. ;)
>>
>>  Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?
>>

>> I like the idea of getting rid of systray icons (or taskbar entries),
>> whenever systray icons also manage windows (amarok, kopete, ...).
>> However,
>> having one behaviour to icon and another for text would possibly confuse
>> users, even because it's not very discoverable.
>>
>> I myself have been thinking about taskbar items bringing systray icons's
>> menu but in the same context-menu. But don't know if it'd be too
>> cluttered
>> sometimes.
>>
>> On notifications above their own taskbar items (I also spent a little
>> time
>> with this idea before -- but not that much to solve this issue, really)
>> the
>
> no, it is not a good idea.
> Notifications always cover a precious area of the screen, so at least it
> should be always a consistent place.
>
> Also, if the user want to actually interact with it, if they appear on an
> unpredictable position, raises the time of reaction, making the user
> "think
> more" to achieve the same thing

The idea which I currently want to implement is to set for entry / icon
state which indicate that it needs attention (usually there is shown
animation) and showing widget in dialog / window / widget shown after
clicking on icon or through submenu.
It is not so easy to do everything right and user friendly when you need
to manage for example task entry, two jobs, systray actions and
notification in single entry.

Best regards,
Michał