Subject: Re: Subject: Re: On Plasmate's recent project list

Diego Casella ([Po]lentino) polentino911 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 08:46:32 CET 2010

Of course we have :) The coolness I was talking is about having version
controlled backup system over gitorious, so you can access it from every pc
with an internet connection, without worrying about in what
folder/pendrive/external drive you put it before formatting the pc.
One click, and you backup all your projects online; an other click ( + cool
anti-conflict method ), and you'll get them back :)

>> Either choice could mean losing contact with a lot of the user's previous
>>> work. Also not forgetting that folder names are not exposed to the user, so
>>> folder name conflicts are not visible to the user, and he will probably be
>>> quite bewildered if we suddenly pop up and say "hey you have a conflict!"
>>> when he sees none.
>>>
>>> IMO we should avoid force-overwrite if we can at all, and if Diego is
>>> right (he probably is :P ) then it's pretty trivial to just get PlasMate to
>>> do some under-the-hood renaming and circumvent all the possible problems.
>>>

> Ok, then lets design some generic method for this. When someone gets an
> outline of a method, mail to the list and we can discuss. :)

What about performing a sort of sha1sum for each project file, and use it to
perform a check when restoring a backup ?
So, if we find two identical packages names with different hashes, we could
prompt a dialog with the name of the package with an "overwrite" checkbox
and a "details" button to give more infos about the projects. ( That's
reptty rough I know, so what about your opinion?)

Well, I'm going to take my DC examinations, bye >.<