Battery applet and KIcon

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Feb 14 20:43:15 CET 2010

On February 14, 2010, you wrote:
> On Sunday 14 February 2010 18:59:32 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > b) since when have we abandoned scalable interfaces? ("nobody uses it
> > larger  than 64 pixels, and we will generate a 256px icon"; seriously?)
>
> SVG is *not* scalable.

given that's what the 's' stands for in 'svg', this statement is ironic. (not
to mention wrong)

> > c) how does this allow one to ensure the battery matches the desktop
> > theme?
>
> In no way for now.

and so it isn't an acceptable solution.

> Do you have suggestions?

yes, keep the image data in the desktop theme.

> > d) if this is such a brilliant idea, why can't the pixmaps be put into
> > the SVG file along with the freely scalable version?
>
> Fine, this will complicate things in the code though, since we have to
> selectively pick a pixmap to render based on the contents or load the svg
> where appropriate, but I can do that.

it would always load the svg, but the svg could contain pixmaps.

still, this skirts around the issue which is "how do we draw an svg such that
it always aligns to the grid?

this is problem that is not unique to the battery and so instead of putting a
work around in the battery itself, i think we should be examining the root of
the problem and deriving a solution for it.

> Is this to be considered an ACK?

no.

humru othro a kohnu se