system tray work

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Apr 29 17:59:29 CEST 2010

On April 29, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> that i icon, is the most fixed, always there icon of all, since the systray
> is usually at the right side it stays indeed always fixed (apart when the
> expander appears/disappears)
> if the important area is at right, i fear it would appear way too jumpy,
> since it would move on each icon apearing/disappearing.

since things tend to grow towards the middle (due to the tasks widget being
the one with the most room to offer being in the middle) this could indeed be
an issue. it's a simple set of changes to flip it back at this point, though,
so let's see how it goes and if this does become a problem, deal with it then.

> other than thatm it would make more sense, but it seems kinda a "visual"
> blocker (note that if the problems are those nitpicks is a sign that we
> have pretty much successfully fixed the severe ones :p)

;)

> > * increased consistency in interaction; i really dislike krandr's window
> > now
>
> the icon, context menu or the kcm than gets open?

the icon is the obvious one but i know that will be worked on. it's more the
rest of the interaction: it's the only one that opens a full window when left-
clicked, that window doesn't get focus (often it's hidden in the back of other
windows for me), each click pulls up a new copy of the window, the menu
doesn't work when the window is showing .. and of course the UI is really not
user friendly in general.

this really has little to do with the system tray work, though, other than the
icon.

> * klipper.
> right now Fredrik has an almost-complete port to kstatusnotifier, however
> there is a feature that can't be ported to it:
> the klipper menu can be opened with a keyboard shortcut, and is possible to
> set it to open at the systray position or at mouse cursor position.
> with kstatusnotifier is possible only to open it at mouse cursor position,
> since you can't know the icon position.

could the KStatusNotifierItem request the menu to be shown, and then the
visualization could do the work? this "breaks" when there is more than one
visualization and would mean adding a feature in the spec that is pretty
highly specific to one item..

*thinks*

another option would be add a feature to the system tray itself that allows
assigning a keyboard shortcut to any icon. then klipper doesn't need to
implement that feature (and can just keep the "open at the mouse cursor
position" feature).

humru othro a kohnu se