Dot article on activities needed, maybe more?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Apr 4 21:32:27 CEST 2010

Hey Tokamak 4 attendants,

For Tokamak 4, I'm still looking for someone to write an article about the work on
activities that has been done there. I've not followed these sessions myself, and I'm
also having a hard time to wrap my head around the topic on mailing list discussions.
That means that someone else has to write this article.

This would also nicely show other's involvement with Tokamak 4 aftermath. I'm about
to publish the second article in the next few days, with a third one to come (mostly
video material).

I've asked a couple of times one IRC for people to help me, with little useful
response. I understand that people's time is limited, but so is mine and I've already
been spending huge gobs of it on Tokamak organisation and aftermath, so it would be
really nice if someone else can chip in here -- or maybe more than one person.

Also, please don't forget that by asking the KDE e.V. for sponsoring this event
(which has been the most expensive (non-Akademy) developer meeting in its history so
far) we agreed to properly report on what we're doing and what has been achieved
during the meeting. My personal stance (both as KDE e.V. Board member and Plasma
hacker) is that we're lagging, again time-constraints on my side being the obvious
reason, but then I've received very little in the sense of help with the work ahead,
so I've been chipping away on it when my time allowed it. The bottom-line is that if
we leave one person to do all the reporting towards the e.V., it'll be a lot harder
to secure funding for the next Tokamak (which I've already decided to have someone
else pull off, it's simply too time-intensive for me, with all the other KDE stuff on
my plate). Firstly because we simply didn't meet the expectations of the KDE e.V. for
sponsoring such an event, and secondly, because if we fail in reporting, it's harder
to get companies to donate to the e.V. resulting in not enough available funds to fly
everyone in to such an event.

I don't want this to sound like a rant email and only be complaining, but fact is
that I didn't receive any help from the Plasma team while this is the third time I
ask for it. I get it, people are busy. But so am I. This worked for previous
Tokamak's (I did those reporting bits for the other 3 already), but it won't work in
the future, and it's falling apart right now as you can see.

Now the nice thing is that Tokamak 4 really was a blast, and that we've achieved a
lot. And because of the size and variety of topics, I've decided to do the Tokamak 4
reporting on the Dot in a series of installments rather than in one big article. The
work around hardware integration has already published (perhaps you've seen it on the
Dot), an article about Plasma mobile is forthcoming (draft version on my disk, needs
illustrating, links etc.). Then a friendly chap from kde-promo is working on cutting
and editing the video footage we brought (which was about 40GB of .dv files and ended
up on my plate as well (good thing I found this guy to outsource at least that time-
intensive work!).

Concretely, what needs to be done is an illustrated article (just have a look at
other sprint reports as examples) about the work on virtual desktops, activities and
all the semantic stuff related to it. Explain the concepts, show screenshots, give
examples, that kind of work. It doesn't need to be perfect in one go either, the
group of Dot editors is usually very helpful in getting those things in shape, but
the initial article has to be written by *someone*.

Also, I'm sure there are more interesting things that would fall through the cracks,
if someone is in for writing about that, this would be a real service to the rest of
the team (I'm thinking about the JS animations, Plasmate progress, and what not, not
things that would make a full article, but noteworthy nevertheless.

Thanks for your help, and again, please bear with the if this email sounds a bit like
complaining.

sebas