GSoC : Multiscreen management

Detlev Casanova detlev.casanova at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 16:35:59 CEST 2010

Hello folks !

I'd like to work with you this summer (and even longer after that :-) ).
So, there's something in KDE that I find not really nice, It's the multiscreen
management.
For instance, I have an extra monitor for my laptop which I use every day but
I also unplug it every day. The problem is that the screen configuration is
never kept and sometimes, the screen is deactivated and KRandr says the screen
is configured in 1980x1200...

So, my point is : there are problems.
So far, what's the link with plasma you might ask. Well, I'd like the device
notifier to react when a monitor is plugged in, showing the screen. 2 actions
should be possible : Auto configure and manual configuration.
 -> Auto configure would try to find the best configuration depending on the
screen capabilities (read resolutions).
 -> Manual configuration would open KRandr.

In KRandr, there should be a possibility to keep configurations depending on
the plugged device :
	I'd like the university projector to be on the right of my laptop screen.
	I'd like my 26" screen to be a clone of my laptop screen.

If a configuration exists for a monitor when it's plugged in, the configuration
should directly be applied with the monitor entry still in the device notifier
(so that it can be modified).

KRandr could also be more handy : the view could be used to move screens to
place them at the wanted position (like a widget is moved on the desktop).

What do you think ?

I already posted the idea on #plasma but had to leave before you could answer
so, it might feel familiar.

I know though that there are problems with xrandr and some drivers, like the
NVidia driver. I'm not sure how big are the problems but interfacing with the
NVidia tools is maybe possible.

Cheers,

Detlev.