Ayatana notifications for Plasma

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Sep 29 14:22:37 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 29 September 2009 10:34:19 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> >> Regarding implementing it as a separate applet: I don't think it would
> >> have been a good idea because you would have to either add a dumb icon
> >> to your panel so that you could run this system, or add an invisible
> >> applet (not handy for the user to manipulate).
> >

> > That's what you have the config option for. (it's the same in terms of
> > manipulation  right now).
>
> I don't understand what you mean.

You could add the invisible applet programmatically if the config option in the
systray is set, and remove it in the same way.

> >> Keep in mind that the
> >> binary is started on demand, so it does not take any memory if you are
> >> not using it (assuming it would automatically stop itself after a
> >> while).
> >

> > Same goes for applets, dataengines...
>
> Can an applet unload itself from memory? What I meant with "stop itself
> after a while", was the notify-osd executable calling exit(). I believe
> your desktop would be a bit too clean if an applet called exit() :).

Hehe, "fluxbox mode". ;-)

AFAIK, applets are unloaded from memory when you remove them from the containment.
(Though the same version is reloaded, so I guess there's some kind of caching.)
--
sebas