Currencies and Countries. Was: Re: OT: Thanks!

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 00:16:29 CEST 2009

On 18/10-2009 23:46 John Layt <johnlayt at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 18 October 2009 21:21:15 you wrote:
> > Well, anyways. I wanted to use the flags for my Google Translator
> > Plasmoid and couldn't figure out why only some of the flags showed up in
> > the ComboBox. It turned out that Google are using slightly different
> > country codes than KDE uses in l10n. Eg. Danish is "da" in Google
> > Translate but dk in KDE. Isn't there some kind of ISO standard or
> > whatever for country codes?
> >
> > http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlanguage/documentation/reference.html#Lan
> >gN ameArray
>
> Actually, Google would be using the language codes rather than the country
> codes.  There is a standard for both, both of which KDE uses, but there is
>  no reliable mapping from one to the other, especially as a language can be
>  used in many countries, and a country can have many languages, and people
>  have been know to get touchy about the difference :-)

Hmm. I get your point. didn't think of that. And unfortunately the problem
will also be in Currency Converter because a currency can be used in several
countries:

http://www.iso.org/iso/support/faqs/faqs_widely_used_standards/widely_used_standards_other/currency_codes/currency_codes_list-1.htm

And then there are both alpha-2 and alpha-3 codes :-/

http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/ascii_8bits.html

Guess I'll better drop they eye-candy. Just thought it would look cool :-)

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

  Thomas Olsen