activities overview, take N

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Oct 13 20:19:44 CEST 2009

On October 13, 2009, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > both that and modifying kwin to gve it all the necessary atoms to
> > activate all the needed effects :)
>
> Just give us a list which effects should be activated by a plasmoid and we
>  can add the atoms (which is everything except generic :-P)
>
> I think it makes sense for:
>  * present windows (atom already there for netbook shell)
>  * desktop grid
>  * cube
>  * tabbox effects (requires some changes to get them working without
>  alt+tab) * zoom effects?

not sure the tab box is really needs, but the others could be quite handy.

slightly off-topic: what would you think about making the "show windows /
desktops zoomed out in some presentation" type effects not include the desktop
panels?

the reasons include:

* the panel often has things like the tasks widget which shows all the windows
but may also show only for the "current" desktop ... which doesn't work very
nicely in overview modes

* if the panels stayed un-transformed, it could give a really interesting
visual effect where the "desktop area" gets transformed and the panel
"overlays" remain as they are

* it would make some of these effects more consistent with the alt-tab box
which does not transform the panels either

would be worth experimenting with at least, and if it works nicely it could
give kwin a bit more of a unique look.

> Instead of using atoms we could also extend the dbus interface to have a
> really generic interface. Don't know if that's a good idea...

i think atoms are probably good enough. it feels like a realy natural way to
deal with kwin now that we've been doing it for some time like that.

humru othro a kohnu se