Plasma->Model/View->Nepomuk

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Oct 7 17:22:17 CEST 2009

On October 7, 2009, PierreL wrote:
> > e.g. if the "nepomuk" source is requested, it would create
> > a nepomuk source
> > with perhaps { "available" => bool } as the data and
> > update the source
> > whenever the resources becomes available or not.
>
> So to do a check, before accessing Nepomuk.

correct.

> I'm still not sure about the
>  order in which services are started in KDE or in which order it should be
>  started :-), which was one of my concerns here.

you shouldn't make any assumptions about this. the order of services
(including services autostarting only when needed, for example) may change or
shift over time. we have tools to make such assumptions unnecessary, however
:)

> I'm not a expert on the Nepomuk server architecture but I see it registered
>  as a DBus service at org.kde.NepomukServer, the Nepomuk service manager
>  does have "bool isServiceAutostarted(QString service) & bool
>  isServiceInitialized(QString name)"

if org.kde.NepomukServer is on the bus, then you know the service is alive and
you can start using it. QtDBus lets you ask if a service is registered on the
bus.

what did you think about the DataEngine idea? :)

humru othro a kohnu se