About KDE/plasma on small devices

Andreas Marschke xxtjaxx at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 22 05:51:01 CET 2009

Hi ,

I've sent this request to the kde-devel mailing list before and would like to
get back to it with you guys here as Aaron suggested on kde-devel.

I've been tinkering about KDE on smaller devices such s the n900 Aaron luckily
informed me about the playground project that is in place and will probably be
out on 4.4 (the plasma keyboard as far as I'm aware).

In my humble opinion the best suited for the job is the netbook shell.Things
that are used on the mobile phone could be developed as a plsmoid which would
then just be added to the newspaper containment. This would have the issue
that you would get quite scared because most of the mobilephone apps would
have to be placed there.

Another ,  more userfriendly, approach could be to add
containments/activities for sms/phonecalls/videos or what ever somebody would
want to use there. These would then added dynamically as a new Activity you
would switch them by providing the activities-switch-plasmoid in each
activities panel. Unfortunately I am not fully aware about how easy/hard it is
to do things like that. Other suggestions how to do this would be highly
appreciated.

So one of the things that would need to be inplace would be information for
people who are not yet involved in the development.  For now  small wrap up on
the mailing list would help to get first pointers upon from where to tackle all
these issues.

Cheers ,

Andreas Marschke.