about the OSX-like dock for KDE

fab fab fabounet03 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 12:46:29 CEST 2009

Hello,
I've read by chance that you are planning to develop a dock, in a similar
way to the MacOSX one, using the Plasma.
As you may know, there is already a dock that is independant from the
environnement and supports the Opengl; it's Cairo-Dock2 (also known as
glx-dock).
It is written with GTK inside, but this one is mainly used for the main loop
and to build the menus.
except for that, it only has usual dependancies : cairo, glx, dbus and
libxml, and runs smoothly on a KDE desktop.
It is independant from the desktop because the integration with the desktop
is provided by external plug-ins : there is one for Gnome and another for
XFCE, the one for KDE is still missing though.
So my proposal is : what about making a Kairo-Dock ? It could be either a
port of gtk towards qt, or the writing of a kde-integration plug-in.
If you want to knwo more about Cairo-Dock, you can see for instance some
screenshots here : http://www.cairo-dock.org/mc_album.php?a=3
and find some videos on youtube, or even install the deb packages here :
http://www.cairo-dock.org/ww_page.php?p=From%20the%20repository&lang=en

Thanks for reading.