Transparent themes without composition

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun May 3 19:56:05 CEST 2009

On Saturday 02 May 2009, David Nolden wrote:
> What price do I have to pay to get a well-looking desktop?

a fundamental challenge in this conversation is that for you the definition of
"good looking desktop" includes "a panel that looks like its translucent". for
the rest of us, we see that as a nice to have item only and therefore
perfectly ok to tie it into compositing.

other features, like autohiding, are not "nice to have" but "must haves" and
therefore we have support for them in both compositing and non-compositing
scenarios.

as for color matching panels and wallpapers, i've described how that could be
done. it doesn't seem there's much interest in that, however, as i keep seeing
patches that do completely different things.

so, we have a difference in definition/values when it comes to "good looking
desktop" and a difference in definition/values when it comes to "what cost we
are willing to carry to achieve features that aren't actually supported by the
system (mostly drivers)"

as such, i don't think there's much point in discussing this further. i think
we've been very patient with each other and that's been really good to see.
but we're not actually finding a middle ground on our definitions and values.
sometimes that happens.

afaic, this discussion is over.

humru othro a kohnu se