Plasma on MID, take 2

Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) artur.souza at openbossa.org
Sat Mar 28 22:23:50 CET 2009

Hi,

2009/3/28 Emmanuel Lepage-Vallée <elv1313 at gmail.com>:
> The user just ended a meeting in a foreign city. He take his nokia n810 out
> of his pocket. The device is in sleep mode. He open it. Now, he -want- to
> know the weather. He access it very easily and see that there is a snow
> storm coming. He now device to check for a near hotel to stay for the night.
> He found one in no time and now -decide- to check for a near restoration to
> eat before going to the hotel. All these thing are done in about 2 minute
> while he is standing in front of the meeting building.

The main problem I see with the "tab bar" approach is that for devices
as small as n8x0 you don't have enough screen space to put that much
of information there. That was the main UI error with Maemo until
Diablo release.

Putting that much of information on the screen makes it difficult to
read the information and use it with the fingers, and users _really_
hate using the stylus. That's why I think that the tab bar concept is
really useful for bigger devices like a netbook but will suffer on
smaller devices like Nokia's Internet Tablet. I say that because it
has been my work on the last 3 years and I heard a lot of complains
from users ;).

It would be good if our (kde) usability/designer experts could help a
little bit on this. As I told you, some people from my company did
user research but aiming something like a netbook, so we still have no
good solution for the internet tablets.. =(