[GSoC] (One more) Proposal for Plasmate

Andrew Stromme astromme at chatonka.com
Sat Mar 28 20:41:00 CET 2009

On Saturday 28 March 2009 12:17:48 Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) wrote:
> Hi! =)
>
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Yuen Hoe Lim <yuenhoe86 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Would really appreciate some feedback and advice :)
>
> Really nice to see people getting interested in Plasmate! =)
> Please, if you have any ideas for the "git timeline" or for the
> previewer, don't be shy to share it with us =D
>
> Cheers!

The mention of the git timeline reminded me of the work I'm doing in TimeVault
(KDE Backup system based on rdiff-backup). I have a kioslave that can take
dates and show files, but I wanted a timeline at the bottom of say, dolphin,
so that the user could drag it around and see how his filesystem looked like
in the past. If you need a timeline too, perhaps there should be a standard
KDE widget for it.

Secondly, an idea for the git timeline in specific. When the user starts
dragging it around, it would be cool to show what has just been added/deleted
with a diff-like interface. The entire file would still be shown, but lines
would be shown in green if they were added/modified in the current snapshot,
and lines would be shown in red if the were deleted in the current snapshot.

That way it would be easy for a user to visually see what has changed. A bonus
would be if the preview also updated as the slider was dragged.

Andrew Stromme