Another Summer of Code proposal (desktop dock)

Fábio Firmo fabio.a.firmo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 22:41:08 CET 2009

Hello again,

I know it's been quite a time but it's not too late. I still want to
participate, and I have some more technical questions. I tried irc yesterday
but only today I realized that was the wrong channel (duh!)

Ok, so the main question is: Will be the dock a containment or a applet, and
why?

The Techbase ideas page mentions a containment, I think it's the right
choice, but I don't know exactly why (and Google want to know, i suppose).
Making it a different containment will make a separation of the tradional
panel and the dock more clear (as opposed to the new Windows 7 bar), and
will possibly make the implementation easier (i'm thinking about parabolic
zooming right know). The downside seems to be that every plasmoid (clocks,
etc) needs a "third context mode": the desktop, the panel and the dock. This
will bring more complexity to the plasmoid makers, and I cannot see any
diferences between a clock in a panel and a clock in a dock.

Anyone have any directions?

I already started writing the proposal. There will be a first version
tomorrow for your review.

Regards,
Fábio Firmo