another update on the systray and tiny api review

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Mar 21 01:08:16 CET 2009

On Friday 20 March 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 20 March 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 March 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> > > -setMovie() we are on dbus now, sending the binary data is already
> > > expensive enough
> >
> > well, for animations it probably makes sense to send all the frames
> > across at once and then animate them on the host side. sending images
> > constantly over dbus might suck badly. anyways ..  we won't get away from
> > having animations on the system tray, so we may as well provide setMovie
> > in the client side API and go the naive route for now (sending the frames
> > across the bus one by one) and look into optimizing this later if needed.
>
> oouch..
> i can try if an array of the struct i did to serialize qimages would be
> enough, let's see if it will have success (/me learning to never ever say
> "how hard can it be" when talking about dbus:p)

ah, something else we need to take care of... and i see you made a comment in
the dbus xml about it ... is to ensure that we're passing image data around
ina way that's portable outside of qt :)

something to research ...

> > at least at first, yes ... once we can demo this thing in action then we
> > can take it kde-core-devel and get some discussion on the matter there.
>
> yeah we can start with some tiny kdebase stuff, like klipper and keyboard
> layout thinghie..

yeah... klipper's actually probably a pretty good candidate.

humru othro a kohnu se