Comments on cool plasmoid popup animations

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 22:49:42 CET 2009

On March 18, 2009 14:18:04 Jud Craft wrote:
> Dumb thought question:  Why not draw the tooltips animated on the
> canvas when in a non-composited mode?
>
> I can see one problem:  you won't be able to see tooltips when the
> canvas window is obscured.

um, you seem to have a misunderstanding about what a canvas is. :) you should
probably go read up on model-view, QGraphicsScene and QGraphicsView. here's a
good place to start: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/graphicsview.html
then we'll actually be able to speak the same language. ;)

> Yes, a horrible hack.  I really don't expect you to do that,
> especially since it may be that in the next year or two KDE could
> actually run with composite-by-default in Linux systems.  But just a
> thought

yes, it would be a horrible hack, and no, we're not going to do it :)

> PS.  Is it impossible to draw a transparent (by color-key, I guess)
> window in X?  If so, there might could just be a tooltip canvas that
> sits on top of everything.  I admit these are very desperate and
> probably impractical ideas.  Plasma may not even like the idea of
> having more than one big screen canvas at a time.

I don't know enough about X, but I have a feeling it'd be impractical. I do
something vaguely kinda-similar for the screensaver, and there are drawing
glitches, and iirc the performance wasn't great either.

it is a tempting idea, though... probably a bad one, but tempting nonetheless
;)

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com