[IDEA] Google Summer of Code - plasmoid mixer with phonon lib

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 13 23:35:56 CET 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> You don't find constructive suggesting that he might try joining forces
> with kmix instead duplicating work?

the only way to avoid duplicating work (and the duplication would be rather
minimal, btw) would be to make kmix embeddable in plasma.

a kpart would not be enough because the needs of a panel or media center
interface are fairly different than what you want in a planar (e.g. desktop or
full app window) interface.

so we'd need to make kmix into a plasmoid because those are actually able to:

* be easily embedded

* theme nicely to fit their surroundings

* can adapt to the formfactors

this would make the kmix binary essentially `plasmoidviewer mixer` with an app
menu on top. when run as kmix, we'd turn on the "native theme" flag so that
buttons, etc would use the native theme.

that would be sensible. kmix is something that ought to be properly
integratable with the desktop *and* exist as a purely stand alone app. it
should look the like a "regular" app when run stand alone and like the desktop
shell when integrated there. one code base. and with plasma, that would be
100% possible. as kmix currently is, and even with a kpart, that's not
possible.

but i wouldn't ever even DARE try and do the sensible thing here and turn kmix
into a plasmoid that runs in a window that we can then also use on the desktop
because i fear, and and i think rightfully so, that people like you would just
block any such effort while shouting about how plasma is trying to take over
kde (whatever that means).

do you have any idea how frustrating this situation is for those of us working
on the kde workspace?

i mean, it's not like we're thinking that okular should become a plasmoid or
that ksnapshot should be rewritten as a plasmoid. we're being reasonable and
trying to make technical decisions based on user centric design concepts.

anyways, in the meantime we'll do what we can to make the workspace better. it
would be awesome if others would help rather than block our efforts at every
turn.

humru othro a kohnu se