Plasma systray jobs default to off?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 5 18:48:08 CET 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> I think we should, for 4.2.2 either default the display of jobs to off, or
> find a way to fix the problems and regressions.

when you try new things, it may not come out perfect on the first go-around.
that's to be expected.

but you can't really "skip to the second step", otherwise step 2 becomes step
1 and all you've accomplished it pushing the problem deeper into the future
with ever diminishing results.

if we turn this feature off, here's what will happen:

* we'll get less feedback to guide us as we work on 4.3

* we'll give the users of 4.2 the impression of visual inconsistency: we did
it one way, then we did it the "old" way, then we'll do it the new way again.
poor form. continuity of presentation is important, and being able to say (to
ourselves, even) "This is the direction we are going.." is important.

* we'll spend time caretaking issues in 4.2 that could be better spent moving
4.3 ahead.

moreover, the job presentation is not _that_ bad and it can be disabled if
using the config dialog if they don't like it. which means it's really not
that big of a deal.

you can take the above and apply it to nearly any of the new ideas we come up
with that we have a long term commitment to. if it is fixable and is being
fixed, just live with it and move on.

show resolve and commitment and let it mature.

humru othro a kohnu se